Monkeypox likely to cause more deaths: WHO | WeForNews

New Delhi, Aug 2: Amid four monkeypox deaths outside Africa, including India, the World Health Organization (WHO) said the infectious disease is likely to lead to more deaths.

“With the continued spread of monkeypox, we expect to see more deaths,” Catherine Smallwood, emergency manager at WHO Europe, said in a statement.

Smallwood stressed that the goal must be “to quickly interrupt transmission and stop this outbreak.”

However, Smallwood pointed out that in most cases the disease heals on its own without requiring treatment.

The latest monkeypox outbreak, first reported in May, has since spread to 78 countries with more than 18,000 cases, according to the latest WHO update from July 28.

At the time, five monkeypox-related deaths had been reported in Africa.

Last week, two deaths were reported in Spain and one in Brazil and India.

A 22-year-old man from Kerala died of monkeypox on Saturday.

According to media reports, he returned to the state on July 21 from the United Arab Emirates and was admitted to a private hospital on July 27 after developing encephalitis and fever. His lymph nodes were also swollen.

India has so far reported four confirmed cases of monkeypox, including three in Kerala and one in Delhi.

Meanwhile, the patient who had the first reported case, also from Kerala, was discharged from hospital on Saturday.

“It’s time for all of us to take action,” Smallwood said earlier on Twitter, adding that people “who are most likely to be exposed to #monkeypox must take action to reduce their exposure.”

She also stressed the need to make “testing, health care and vaccination easy and quick”. “I can’t let #Covid19 fatigue hold us back!”

Comments are closed.