Djokovic will not play at the US Open, says his official website



World no. 1 tennis player Novak Djokovic will miss the US Open, scheduled to start on August 29, according to his official website.

Becoming the player with the most Grand Slam men’s singles titles is Novak Djokovic’s ultimate goal, but it looks like he will have to wait until next year to realize his dream. The Serb won his 21st major title at Wimbledon in July, leaving him behind Rafael Nadal’s all-time men’s record.

“There are no events scheduled at the moment,” reads Djokovic’s official website.

Djokovic’s decision not to be vaccinated against Covid-19 means he has missed opportunities this year to add to his loot. The nine-time Australian Open champion was unable to play in Melbourne and could also miss the US Open, although he recently said he had “fingers crossed” for the US Open.

According to a report published on Forbes.com, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires a non-US citizen to “show proof that they are fully vaccinated against Covid-19” before traveling by air. from a foreign country.

The decision barred Djokovic from participating in the ATP Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami in March and April, as well as the Cincinnati Open last week.

He had hoped he could play in New York after the CDC earlier this month relaxed many Covid rules in the United States.

“In the coming weeks, the CDC will work to align stand-alone guidance documents, such as those for health care settings, high-risk transmission congregational settings, and travel, with the update. today,” the organization said.

–IANS

injection/bsk

(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and up-to-date with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Comments are closed.